What Are The Drawbacks To Solar Tube Lighting
The benefits of solar tube lighting are obvious: free energy source, less pollution and overall efficiency. So what are the drawbacks of installing solar tube lighting?
Drawback 1. Only One Source Of EnergyThe sun is the only source of energy in solar-powered systems, which can become problematic. Days with bad weather conditions will undoubtedly limit the function of solar tube lighting. Unfortunately, on days like these home or business owners will have to find an alternative lighting source.
Drawback 2. Takes Up A Lot Of SpaceThis drawback specifically relates to the installation process. It takes a lot of space just to install these units. Smaller homes may face several headaches when trying to install solar tube lighting. Home solar-powered energy will require a large amount of space.
Drawback 3. Not Suitable For Every HomeNeedless to say, solar tube installation is not ideal for every home. Most solar tubes are designed for conventional roofs with a slope in the range of 15-60 degrees. Roofs that are extremely steep or flat will pose challenges during installation. Since these systems do not work as well on ground level, it is strongly suggested that they be installed atop roofing.
Drawback 4. Limited DesignsIt’s no secret that solar tubes come with very limited design styles. Beyond conveying light, solar tubes will not affect your room’s aesthetics in any way. You won’t be able to see through these tubes to look outside either.
Drawback 5. NoiseSome solar tube domes come with additional aluminum reflectors. These are a great enhancement for sunlight, but can generate lots of noise on windy days.
Drawback 6. Lack Of VentilationInstalling a ventilation system within solar tubes is impossible. Therefore, it will not be possible to feel any heat or cool wind coming through the system.
Drawback 7. ThermosiphonThe light pipes are constructed of aluminum, which is great at conducting heat. However, in the winter, it may be possible for the pipes to leak heat from the interior of the home. This will reduce the overall R value.
Solar Tube Lighting AdvantagesHere are a few of the advantages of installing solar tubes:
- Save money on electricity.
- Natural source of daylight without any added heat or glare.
- Generally no repairs or maintenance needed.
- Won’t fade furniture or clothing.
- Save on installation costs compared to traditional skylights.
- Eligible to receive federal tax credits which will lower installation costs.
- No loss of cooling or heating energy.
- Leak and damage proof design.
- Will not build water condensation over time.
- Built for extreme Arizona conditions and temperatures.
- Preferred upgrade for realtors – will add to your home’s value.
Should I Get Solar Tubes?Homeowners choose to invest in solar tubes because they can help lower your electric bill instantly. Because of installation not requiring alterations to the home, there are seemingly no limitations when it comes to the location of these tubes inside a home. First, look around your attic for to make sure there is enough room to run a light tube. Any obstructions will need to be moved prior to installation.
Solar Tube Installation In The East ValleyElite Home Daylighting Systems offers tubular skylights and solar attic fan installation services to the entire Phoenix east valley. Service area includes Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe & more! Contact us for a free quote today!
More Articles About Solar Tubes
- Why Go Solar In Arizona?
- How To Remove A Skylight
- Best Skylight Ideas For Your Home
- Roof Window Vs Skylight
- Solar Attic Fan Installation Cost
- 5 Benefits Of Sunlight Through Windows
- How Much Does It Cost To Install A Skylight?
- Sun Tunnel Vs Skylight
- Skylight Dome Replacement Guide
- Skylights Replacement Cost
- Skylights Near Me In East Valley Phoenix
- How Long Do Skylights Last
- Do Solar Attic Fans Work
- How To Clean Skylights In 5 Steps
- Everything You Need To Know About Solar Fans
- How To Install Solar Attic Fan
- Skylights Vs Solar Tubes: Costs, Pros And Cons
- How Much Do Solar Tubes Cost?
- 6 Easy Ways To Lower Your Electric Bill In Arizona
- Solar Attic Fans Pros And Cons
- Tubular Skylights Pros And Cons